Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Marissa's Cucumber Soup

Here's another summertime favorite at our house. My college roommate, Marissa used to make this in our third floor, attic apartment near Philadelphia. The soup is both good hot and chilled. I like it best the next day, just slightly warmer than chilled. Here is the recipe:

  • 5 or 6 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped

  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (I usually use a little more than that)

  • one large can of chicken broth (I've never tried it with vegetable broth, but I'm curious to know if it would be as good)

  • 1 and 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar

  • 3 Tbsp butter for frying the onions

  • 5 Tbsp farina to thicken the soup

  • lots of dill (fresh is best)

  • 1 cup of sour cream (I use light)

  • salt and pepper to taste


Basically, you saute the onions in the butter until soft, not brown. Then add the cukes, broth, vinegar, and dill. Bring it to a boil, stir in the farina, then simmer covered for 25 minutes. Then, let it cool down and puree it in a blender - I use an immersion blender. Add sour cream while blending. Add more dill and salt and pepper to taste. As I said, it's best if you put it in the fridge over night and then eat it the next day. I put some in a bowl and microwave it for about 40 seconds just to take the chill off. The soup goes extremely well with sour dough bread. Lots of tang.

Thanks, Marissa, wherever you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home