Monday, June 28, 2004

Meghan's Mom's Pasta Salad (and whipped cream)

No, I am not pregnant.

The pasta salad and the whipped cream are two different topics and probably should be two different entries, but I don't feel like making two entries.

My very good friend from high school, Meghan, has a mother who made the best pasta salad. My friends and I would get drunk off of that pasta salad it was so good. Since I've been cooking for myself, I've tried to replicate it. It's been so long since I've had the real thing though that I'm not sure if I am doing it justice. It is good none-the-less. Here's the recipe:

  • spiral pasta (Fusili)

  • Zesty Italian salad dressing (nothing fancy - Wishbone is fine)

  • chopped cucumbers

  • chopped Vidalia (or red) onion

  • chopped tomato (Jersey tomatoes are best if you are lucky enough to get them)

  • Secret ingredient [generous amount of McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning]


And now for the whipped cream. I made my first batch of real whipped cream with my Kitchen Aid mixer last night. I didn't know if I needed to add sugar or not, but since we were having local strawberries with our whipped cream, I decided against the sugar.

I let the mixer run a little too long and the cream became kind of stiff. It was on its way to butter, I think. It also didn't taste like much. I will be sure to add sugar next time. It was nice to use my mixer though.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to add a little vanilla to the whipped cream too. Also, if you can find cream from Jersey cows (whole foods carries Butterworks Farms-- your farm place might too) it will have lots of good flavor.

Lisa

1:00 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Thanks for the tips, Lisa. The whipped cream you served with the strawberry short cake dessert was great! Do you add sugar? If so, how much? I assume you must use powedered sugar also so it doesn't break up the whippiness.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I add regular sugar but not too much, maybe a tablespoon or so.

Lisa

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home