Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Vietnamese Inspired Salad

Last night for dinner, I combined a couple of recipes from past issues of Cooking Light to create a Vietnamese inspired salad.

Fresh Vietnamese spring rolls and the clear dipping sauce they come with is one of my favorite foods. I love the combination of the sticky rice paper, crunchy bean sprouts, crisp veggies like lettuce, carrots, and cucumbers, sharp herbs like cilantro, basil, and mint, and mostly the vinegary, peanutty dipping sauce. MMMMM! Following is the rough recipe for my concoction:

Salad:

  • bean sprouts

  • julienned carrots

  • julienned cucumbers

  • fresh cilantro

  • fresh basil (unfortunately, I could only find Italian sweet basil, not the more interesting Asian basil)

  • fresh mint from my garden

  • chopped peanuts

  • bean threads (a.k.a. glass noodles, or Sai Fun noodles, or cellophane noodles)



Dressing:

  • lime juice

  • rice vinegar

  • hoisin sauce

  • sugar

  • Asian chili sauce

  • fish sauce (don't tell my husband)

  • fresh ginger, grated

  • fresh garlic, minced



The only thing that was missing was some king of protein. If I had more time, I would have cooked some tofu or shrimp or egg. But as it was, we didn't sit down to eat until 8:30 at night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home