Saturday, January 07, 2006

One Month Old!


IMG_1233
Originally uploaded by stacy's plate.
Sam turned one month old yesterday (1/6). I can't believe we all survided a whole month.

Things seem to have gotten a little easier. Either that or we've just gotten used to our new lifestyle.

Sam has plumped up a bit and he is more alert now. He hasn't smiled at us yet but now and then, I'll catch a glimpse of a "contentment smile" which is really cute. That's when he's half asleep, eyes rolled in the back of his head and a really cute grin on his face. This usually happens after a meal.

Life is still a never-ending cycle of feeding Sam, trying to stop Sam from crying, playing on the play mat with Sam, scrambling to get things done when he naps for an hour or two, and trying to catch some sleep ourselves, usually in one to two hour increments.

Oh and I forgot to mention diaper changing. There is usually one diaper change per feeding, which adds up to about 10-12 per day. Sam manages to pee all over himself, the wall, us, and anything else in his path at least two or three times a day, which means we have to change his clothes that often.

Is all this worth it? I'm not so sure yet. I keep trying to remind myself that taking care of Sam is my job right now, not much else. It's hard because I'm a "take care of business" kind of person and it's frustrating to let things go.

It's not all bad though. Kissing Sam's soft chubby cheeks is one of the highlights of all this. Same goes for patting or sqeezing his chubby thighs, which we don't get to see too often because he's all covered up in clothes. I'm hoping as the days and weeks go by there will be more of those types of moments that will make all this monotonous hard work seem more worthwhile.

1 Comments:

Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Is that a New Native baby sling I see? I had one in lavender and Little Man LOVED it. It was one of the few ways to calm him when he was completely out of his mind. I spent many hours swaying back and forth and patting his bum through the sling fabric.

Hang in there chica. It's REALLY REALLY hard at first, and the deep love will come. People who try to tell you that it's love at first sight and that parenting is natural are insane. But it does get lots and lots better. In fact, it's been getting better and better for the last 2.5 years, and yet, I miss those chubber thighs and that soft fuzzy head.

Come visit soon?

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home