Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Bean and other updates Part II

I'll start with the house this time.

Half of the upstairs has been plastered. The other half was scheduled for today, but as of this writing (10:00 am), no plaster people are at our house. There are however people hanging doors. Seems out of order to me, but what can I do about it...

This weekend, during the busiest shopping days of the year, we must buy a shower curtain (so I can get the right paint color for the bathroom), paint and paint supplies, light fixtures, and a medicine cabinet. We'll probably get other things, too as we walk past them in the aisles. Matt and his brother will start priming this weekend as well, in anticipation for the electrician who is supposed to come next week to finish his work.

Things seem to be moving along, but it's still very stressful and frustrating. Mostly because every time our general contractor says so-and-so will be there Monday, it ends up being Wednesday or Thursday before they actually show up to do the work. Then, it usually takes more than one day for them to do the work, and then we're already into the following week.

The thing is, we don't have many more "following weeks" which brings me to the Bean update.

I mentioned last week that my bean was estimated to weigh 7 pounds 5 ounces on 11/15. Babies at this stage in pregnancy gain up to 1/2 pound a week. As I sort of suspected, my doctor wants to induce me early before the baby gets too huge for a safe delivery. My scheduled inducement is Tuesday, 12/6! That is likely going to be my baby's birthday!

While we now have all of the gear we need for the first couple of months, we still don't feel prepared, mostly because of the house construction. I realize that many people bring babies into the world under much less ideal circumstances than ours, and that many first-time parents are in the middle of house renovations or even moving when they have their babies, but this feeling of not being in control and totally prepared goes against every grain of my personality. I feel like I've been cheated out of the "nesting urge" since I can't set up and decorate the nursery. I am also concerned about bringing an infant home to a messy construction zone and having workers (who reek of cigarette smoke) traipse though the house while I'm recovering and nursing.

Again, what can I do? Not a whole heck of a lot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stacy,

It's gonna be great. Don't worry. After the birth you will adjust to your surroundings and you'll be so in love with your baby that you won't even notice that you're only getting 3 hours sleep every night, not eating and experiencing excruciating pain throughout your whole body. So don't worry! ;-). Seriously though, the baby will make up for a lot. Are you going to get a Bugaboo? If not, a simple Graco will actually be fine. I've also heard good things about the MacLaren Volo. Happy Thanksgiving!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Nadira said...

Yay! I'll be thinking about you on the 6th!

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home