Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Blue Berry Pancakes

I often crave pancakes or waffles on 3-day weekends. Something about an extra day at home triggers the need for a leisurely breakfast with something that requires more than pouring milk into a bowl of cereal. Waffles are easy to make in my nifty waffle iron. Pancakes on the other hand are one food that I am just no good at making. Luckily for me, my husband seems to have a talent for flipping flapjacks.

I always make the batter from scratch. No Bisquick here! (Sorry, Mom.) The trouble comes when I start cooking them. I can't seem to get the pan to the right temperature. The pancakes always come out burnt on the outside and raw in the middle. Now, you probably know that I do like to cook and I think I'm pretty good at it. Pancakes just give me trouble.

So this weekend, after I mixed the batter ingredients, I left the cooking to Matt. The pancakes came out perfect! No raw middles or burnt surfaces. His trick is to not use any cooking spray or butter, which has a tendency to burn and turn a dark yucky color. Between the non-stick frying pan and the oil in the batter, no extra fat is needed.

Just over a month until the next 3-day weekend! I have plenty of time to practice my technique. Or, I can just leave pancake duty to Matt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home