Thursday, August 12, 2004

Penne Pasta with Roasted Fennel, Cherry Tomatoes, and Kalamata Olives

Need I say more?

It's been a while since I posted a recipe. I have to admit that I haven't been too creative in the kitchen lately. The August issue of Cooking Light had a lot of promising recipes in it so last night I tried the pasta with roasted veggies recipe (see post title).

It was sooooo good! Here is the rundown:

  • 1-2 cups of chopped fennel bulb (I got mine from the Central Square farmers market)

  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (also from the farmers market)

  • 1/2 cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives

  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (from my garden)

  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (I only had dried, unfortunately)

  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

  • 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

  • 8 oz penne pasta, uncooked

  • 3/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese


Roast the fennel, tomatoes, olives, herbs, pepper, and oil for 30 minutes at 450 degrees. The veggies get very soft and carmelized - yum! Pour roasted veggie mixture over cooked pasta and mix in the cheese.

I'm always a little wary of pasta dishes that don't have a defined sauce. They're sometimes too dry or way to oily. I was worried this dish would be the same, but there is just enough liquid from the vegetables that mix with and melt the cheese to make a creamy salty sauce.

Very very good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home