Monday, September 26, 2005

That name again is Mr. Steer

My cousin brought me the gift of meat this weekend. She said it was a gift for the baby but I think I enjoyed it more than the baby did. She brought us 4 lbs of marinated steak tips from a place with the lovely name of "Mr. Steer" in Londonderry, NH

You all know by now that I'm not a big meat eater, but since being diagnosed as anemic with this pregnancy, I've been encouraged to eat red meat often. The trouble is, it's hard to break vegetarian habits. Especially with the high price of meat and its unappealing appearance in the plastic wrap and Styrofoam trays - not to mention the associated guilt.

Matt grilled some of these up on Saturday and served them with roasted Yukon Gold potatoes and roasted asparagus. I couldn't get enough of the steak tips. They were so good. I think I had three generously sized pieces. I don't know what the secret marinade is, but there is a kick to it. Matt grilled them to perfection, too.

Cows are lucky that Mr. Steer is far away from me because this would easily become a habit if they were closer to where I live.

In other news, I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. This means I will soon have to prick my finger throughout the day to test my blood sugar levels. It also means no more of my favorite foods - carbs. I can pretty easily cut out the junk food, but it will be very difficult to cut out breads, pasta, potatoes, and orange juice. I can eat about one serving of whole wheat bread per day. That's not a lot at all.

I managed to survive my first carb-free weekend, but Mr. Steer had a lot to do with that. It's going to be a difficult third trimester, but the good news is, once the pregnancy ends, so should the diabetes. At that time, all local artisan bread bakeries should be forewarned that I'm on my way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

What a bummer! Can you eat veggies and fruits in quantity, or are those limited too?

11:24 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I think I can eat an unlimited amount of veggies, but I can't have more than 3 servings of fruit per day. No corn, watermelon or pineapple though. I'm not a big fruit eater so that shouldn't be too hard. I'll find out more details when I go to the doctor today.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home